Review: Incarceron by Catherine Fisher

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

 
Book: Incarceron
Author: Catherine Fisher
Publisher: Dial Books for Young Readers
Release date:January 26, 2010
Source: Purchased

First impressions: This book grabbed me from the first sentence.  The opening scene is full of delicious tension.  I loved the detail of the setting and action, which drew me in immediately.  Great start.

Lasting impressions: What will stay with me is the ominous threat of the prison Incarceron.  The darkness of the book really gets under your skin.  I think the rough conditions of Incarceron will haunt me, which I believe is the point.  This is not a book I will soon forget.

Negative impressions: I thought the middle was a bit slow.  The beginning grabs with such force that it is tough to maintain that pace.  I also could intuit where the story was going, so wanted to get to that place faster.  Once I got to the last third of the book, however, it really took off and I ate it up like candy.

Overall impressions: A great read with tons of imagination and freshness.  I was intrigued by the world, and though at times I wasn't sure I was following all of the action or grasping the intricacies of the complicated beast that is Incarceron, the overall experience of the story was engaging.  The book is well conceived and well executed, and I highly recommend it to fans of fantasy and dystopian fiction.

Rating: 4/5 stars



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please don't hesitate to comment. Good or bad, inspired reflection or spontaneous babble - I love them all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Poet's Keepsakes kit by Lorie Davison
Related Posts with Thumbnails