Review: Enclave by Ann Aguirre

Friday, February 3, 2012


Book: Enclave
Author: Ann Aguirre
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Release date: April 12, 2011
Source: Borrowed from library
Series: Razorland #1

Summary from Goodreads: In Deuce’s world, people earn the right to a name only if they survive their first fifteen years. By that point, each unnamed ‘brat’ has trained into one of three groups–Breeders, Builders, or Hunters, identifiable by the number of scars they bear on their arms. Deuce has wanted to be a Huntress for as long as she can remember.

As a Huntress, her purpose is clear—to brave the dangerous tunnels outside the enclave and bring back meat to feed the group while evading ferocious monsters known as Freaks. She’s worked toward this goal her whole life, and nothing’s going to stop her, not even a beautiful, brooding Hunter named Fade. When the mysterious boy becomes her partner, Deuce’s troubles are just beginning.

Down below, deviation from the rules is punished swiftly and harshly, and Fade doesn’t like following orders. At first Deuce thinks he’s crazy, but as death stalks their sanctuary, and it becomes clear the elders don’t always know best, Deuce wonders if Fade might be telling the truth. Her partner confuses her; she’s never known a boy like him before, as prone to touching her gently as using his knives with feral grace.

As Deuce’s perception shifts, so does the balance in the constant battle for survival. The mindless Freaks, once considered a threat only due to their sheer numbers, show signs of cunning and strategy… but the elders refuse to heed any warnings. Despite imminent disaster, the enclave puts their faith in strictures and sacrifice instead. No matter how she tries, Deuce cannot stem the dark tide that carries her far from the only world she’s ever known.

First impressions: I couldn't put it down! Could not. I started it on a Saturday night right before bed, and stayed up until I was halfway done. The next day I picked it up and read it straight through to the end. Two sittings and it was over! Few books give as strong of a first impression as that.

Lasting impressions: A taut, suspenseful, realistic dystopian that kept my skin crawling in all the best ways.

Conflicting impressions: I had the same thought as Amanda. Deuce? Her name is Deuce? Please tell me this is a joke.

Overall impressions: I love post-apocalyptic stories. I love strong female characters. I love mysterious cute male characters. I love dystopias where the strong female character doesn't know how bad things are until she gets a new perspective introduced by mysterious cute male characters.

I knew I was going to like this book. I didn't know I'd love it.

Ms. Aguirre creates a world so richly detailed that it completely absorbed me. As Deuce stumbled blindly through dark subterranean tunnels, fighting off rabid zombie-like "Freaks," my heart pounded. I turned the pages so fast I nearly tore them from the book. I had to know what was going to happen! This world was dangerous and surprising and really kept me on my toes. Kudos for the well done suspense.

Deuce is a fairly typical protagonist for a dystopic novel. She's a bit naive about how the system is working against her, rather than for her. She's idealistic and wants to contribute to their strict society. She doesn't like to ruffle feathers. She believes she is being protected and cared for, and that the information she receives from her elders is true and correct. Over the course of the book, we come to realize that her life is not as grand as she thought it once was.

Fade is an outsider in Deuce's community. He's not well looked upon, and is only allowed to stay because he's an excellent Hunter. When he and Deuce are paired together, it's a punishment of sorts, and she doesn't want to be stuck with the guy whose last partner died. Deuce is excellent at what she does, and like Fade, is constantly out to prove herself. As they work together to check traps and fight off Freaks - who seem to be getting smarter and more vicious - they are forced to develop a bit of trust. Their relationship gets cemented after a grueling journey to a nearby camp, and it's at this point that Deuce's world view starts to change.

It would take all of the fun out of the book to reveal the events that affect Deuce enough to drive her above ground for the first time in her life, and what course her life takes when she's out from under the authoritarian enclave. The second part of the book reveals a whole new world to Deuce, with different challenges, and it's where she really is forced to make tough choices.

One of my favorite things about this book is that no one is all good or all bad. The characters each do things that are valiant and despicable. Someone who once was an enemy may become a friend, and friends can always betray you. Deuce can truly only rely on herself, her instincts, her skills as a Huntress, and her humanity to guide her life's journey. Despite the hellish place America has become, Deuce is determined to persevere.

I can't wait to see what the next stage in her life brings. Book two, Outpost, is out this fall, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Rating: 4/5 stars

Click the stars for a description of my rating system

9 comments:

Eliza Tilton said...

I totally forgot about this book until this post! Thanks for a great review

Amanda @ On a Book Bender said...

DEUCE!

This book was definitely difficult to put down once you get started.

Gina @ My Precious said...

Logan, nice review. I thought the name "Deuce" was very strange, too, but then so is "Fade" and many of the other character names in the story. I will definitely be looking forward to reading "Outpost", too.

Missbookaholicgirl said...

This book was amazing!!! I am hoping they make a it a series!

Logan E. Turner said...

@Eliza - I hope you get a chance to read it. Obviously, I recommend!

@Amanda - Yes, Ann Aguirre clearly knows tension.

@Gina - The name thing was weird to me. I wasn't sure about the significance of their naming ritual or why they put such an emphasis on them. Because so many died so young?

@shirleytemple83 - It is a series! Or at least, there's a sequel. I'm not sure if she has a deal for more after that.

Karen said...

Eep! I'm always so happy when people like this one. It was my favorite book of last year.
As you mentioned the characters were not cut & dry - right or wrong. There were things that they had to do to survive. I loved it so much.
It's going to be a trilogy and there is a novella coming out this year also.

Smash Attack Ash said...

Your review had me SO EXCITED. It was like I was reliving the story, which is easily one of my fav YA dystopian reads, evar. Fade quietly crept up on me and stole my heart. I LOVE his character something fierce.

You and Amanda are killing me with the "Deuce" bit. LMAO.

BURIED IN BOOKS said...

Okay, you've convinced me to read my copy. Plus the fact that the sequel hasn't come out yet and I still have time to not be too far behind! What a great review!!! I like my heroines that way, too.
This world sounds amazing. I always thought the creatures were vampires, but zombies are just as bad. Now I can't wait to read it! Thanks for such a great review!!

Heather

Aylee said...

haha, yup Deuce is a silly name. I'll have to add this to my tbr. In a lot of ways, it sounds pretty cliched as far as dystopians go. It doesn't really break the mold. But is that so bad when it does it so well? I love a real page-turner.

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please don't hesitate to comment. Good or bad, inspired reflection or spontaneous babble - I love them all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Poet's Keepsakes kit by Lorie Davison
Related Posts with Thumbnails