The Man Behind the (Blog) Mask - writers write, right?

Wednesday, May 18, 2011


As part of The All Male Review Challenge, I'm featuring some of our male book blogger friends in this new interview feature: The Man Behind the (Blog) Mask. Each blogger answered the same 7 questions so that we can all get to know them a bit better. The men of the book blogging community are interesting, charming, funny, witty, and some of the best all around bloggers! If you like what you read here, be sure to check out their blogs - you won't be disappointed.

My guest today is Jamie from writers write, right?

1) Tell us a little about your blog - when you started, what your focus is, why you do it, etc.


I started my blog almost a year ago, probably much like the way most people began...on a whim. I was feeling bored and creatively stifled when I came across Blogger and thought, "Hmm, this looks like fun." So it began. I know that most bloggers focus on one thing or another (writing tips, book reviews, etc), but I really am just using this forum as a way to interact with other writers/book lovers. Whatever way that happens is fine with me!

2) Book blogging seems pretty heavy on the females. Do you think being a male blogger has any advantages or disadvantages?

I don't think it has advantages or disadvantages, really. I've had lengthy conversations about books/authors with both male and female bloggers and those conversations mirror each other--you can't tell who I'm talking to in either one! I do think that since the majority of bloggers are female (especially for YA, which is what I write), most people assume I am female, too, so if there was a disadvantage that would be it. Of course having the name Jamie doesn't help!

3) Do you read a lot of books with male protagonists? Why or why not?

I've only read a few books with male protagonists, and honestly I have no preference either way. I do, however, tend to gravitate more toward female YA protagonists only because that is what I write so I like to read what's happening in that area. But a great book is a great book, protag's gender aside!

4) Give us three books you consider "must reads."

Ooh, tough one. I think everyone should read Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird for its sheer brilliance; Delirium by Lauren Oliver for its wonderful beauty; and Stephen King's IT to have the crap scared out of them.

5) If you could be any literary character, who would you be and why?

Wow, another tough one! Okay, I think I would have to say Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games. She's tough as hell, loves her family and friends completely, and proves that good triumphs evil in the end.

6) When you're not reading or blogging, what are you most likely doing?

My two favorite things: Writing and watching TV--often times simultaneously.

7) Share an interesting/weird/random/funny fact about yourself with us.

I think I may be the most accident-prone person on the planet. I've been knocked unconscious by a trash dumpster, dragged across a highway by an out-of-control automobile, fallen through a roof...well, you get the idea!

Thanks for sharing with us! You can follow Jamie at writers write, right? and on Twitter @jmanni32.

5 comments:

Readaholics said...

Hey Logan,
Great idea, I really don't know that many male bloggers. I can't wait to see who stops by. Have a great week!
See ya,
Dana
Readaholics Anonymous

AO said...

hi Logan!

hi Jamie! it's great to meet another male blogger. i hopped over to your blog and am now a follower. i added your link to my Google Reader feeds and my buddy bloggers blogroll. i believe Logan will have me here on the 22nd as well. have a good one! c",)

Logan E. Turner said...

Jamie, I so feel you on the name thing. 9 times out of 10 I get addressed as "Mr. Turner." It's one of the reasons I put my picture up on my blog - I'm a girl! See! I proved it! :)

@Dana - I didn't know that many either, and this process helped lead me to some truly awesome guys!

@aobibliophile - Yep, you're up on the 22nd! Thanks for supporting your fellow feature-ees!

Jamie Manning said...

Awesome, thanks so much for featuring me, Logan...I really enjoyed it!

Alison Can Read said...

Wow...you've lived a crazy life! How cool that you can write and watch TV. I can't write with anything else going on.

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please don't hesitate to comment. Good or bad, inspired reflection or spontaneous babble - I love them all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Poet's Keepsakes kit by Lorie Davison
Related Posts with Thumbnails