Weekly Recap 5/13-5/20

Friday, May 20, 2011

I'm in a reading slump. I don't know if it's school stress or the pressure of the self-pub requests flooding in, but somewhere in the last week I decided that every book I'm reading is not very satisfying. I keep trying new ones, and each one is as disappointing as the last. Blerg.

I need recommendations. What are you reading right now? What have you read recently that knocked your socks off?


My weekly recap is inspired by the phenomenally talented, kind and generous Small Review. If you are not already following her, you are really missing out. Also, have I mentioned how much I love Cool Text? They're the folks that allow me to make these cool (and simple) text buttons - for FREE!

If you're a first time visitor, or just didn't get the chance to stop by this week, here's what you missed:

Features
Author Interview with James Kennedy
Author James Kennedy came by to discuss his wacky exploits, and I giveaway a copy of his book.

The Man Behind the (Blog) Mask
I interviewed Jamie from writers write, right?.

Reviews
LOVER ETERNAL by J. R. Ward
4/5 stars
Black Dagger Brotherhood Challenge
All Male Review Challenge
+ Book Club +

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME by Brian Rowe
2/5 stars
All Male Review Challenge

LEVERAGE by Joshua C. Cohen
4/5 stars
All Male Review Challenge
+ Giveaway +

REMEMBER!


It's All Male Review Challenge month! If you haven't signed up yet, you can do so here. Then be sure to link up your reviews to increase your chances of winning our prize packs!

I have TWO giveaways still up for grabs, so be sure to enter if you'd like a signed copy of James Kennedy's The Order of Odd-Fish or Joshua C. Cohen's Leverage.

Enjoy your weekend everybody!

7 comments:

Steph: Short and Sweet said...

It sucks you had a reading slump :( Maybe you should take a tiny break from reading? It MIGHT help.. :)

Ninja Girl said...

Hey there! Yeah, the slumps suck :( Whenever that happens to me, I basically re-read a favorite or two. Helps if you break up the bad streak with the good. Hope you get out of your slump, and thanks for following me! Plus, good luck with your writing. It's always nice to meet a fellow aspiring author :)
Ninja Girl

Unknown said...

I hate reading slumps. Hopefully you can recover soon!

Thanks for stopping by!

Small Review said...

Aw, reading slumps suck! I usually re-read one of my favorite books. That way I know I'll like it. I just read Plain Kate and I *loved* it! It's a fairy tale. But it's sad.

Catherine Stine said...

I'm tired of really formulaic books myself. I really liked Please Ignore Vera Dietz by AS King (YA) and Four and Twenty Blackbirds by Cherie Priest (adult horror). Neither of these fits any kind of formula.

Logan E. Turner said...

@Steph - I think I'm going to back off the reading for a bit and only read when I'm really in the mood for it. Once it starts feeling like a chore it's never enjoyable.

@NinjaGirl - That's good advice. Maybe I'll re-read The Hunger Games!

@Rie - Me too! It's nice to commiserate with others, though. :)

@Smalls - What are you doing to me? Tell me about an awesome book and then tell me it's sad pandas. Tsk tsk. j/k. I'll check it out. Thanks!

@Catherine - Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe it's the formulaic thing that's getting to me. Too many of the same types of stories perhaps.

Small Review said...

Well, I have to warn you. Otherwise you could be reading it in some public place and you'd start bawling and I'm sure we're all familiar with those strange looks and concerned stranger inquiries that would result. Luckily I was at home when the floodgates opened (again, and again).

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please don't hesitate to comment. Good or bad, inspired reflection or spontaneous babble - I love them all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Poet's Keepsakes kit by Lorie Davison
Related Posts with Thumbnails