Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Click the cover to purchase at Amazon

Book: Silver Borne
Author: Patricia Briggs
Publisher: Ace
Release date: March 30, 2010
Source: Bought for Kindle
Series: Mercy Thompson #5

Summary: (from Goodreads) When mechanic and shapeshifter Mercy Thompson attempts to return a powerful Fae book she'd previously borrowed in an act of desperation, she finds the bookstore locked up and closed down. It seems the book contains secret knowledge-and the Fae will do just about anything to keep it out of the wrong hands. And if that doesn't take enough of Mercy's attention, her friend Samuel is struggling with his wolf side-leaving Mercy to cover for him, lest his own father declare Sam's life forfeit. All in all, Mercy has had better days. And if she isn't careful, she might not have many more to live.

First impressions: I love when we start these books in Mercy's garage. I still think having a heroine who is a car mechanic is the coolest thing ever. I wish I knew how to work on cars!

Lasting impressions: Though a bit slower and less exciting than past installments, it was still an enjoyable read.

Conflicting impressions: The Adam-Mercy tension feels a bit contrived at this point. Really? They still can't figure out how to just love each other? After all this time? With everything Mercy's been through I'm ready for her happy phase any time now.

Overall impressions: I love this series, and I'll stick with it until the bitter end, although I hope the end is anything but bitter. It's been a really long time since I read book 4, so it took me a minute sometimes to process what had happened and where these characters should be. Still, I relaxed into the world easily and comfortably.

The action felt a bit distant somehow. Even though things happened, particularly things I should have been concerned about, Mercy's reactions to the events around her seemed muted which made me not as worrisome. This is always kind of an issue in the series, since Mercedes doesn't always think through her actions before realizing she's in peril. Still, in this book I actively noticed how much Mercy didn't seem to worry that Sam was stuck as a wolf or that the bookseller was missing.

I cannot stress enough, though, how much I love this world. I love Mercy as a coyote shifter in a world of werewolves. I love that the fae are complex and surprising. I did miss the vampires, notably absent in this book. Patricia Briggs really fleshes out the setting (in the Tri-Cities area of Washington state) to seem bold, yet real. I believe that these creatures could exist in tandem with humans. I accept the magic involved.

If you love urban fantasy, you should be reading this series.

Rating: 3/5 stars

Click the stars for a description of my rating system


3 comments:

Jess (Gone with the Words) said...

I really want to read this series!! :D

BookGeek said...

I was just given the first two books in this series by a good friend. Can't wait to read them :)

Rubita said...

There's plenty of happy/love in River Marked. My biggest issue in this book was how utterly, stupidly neatly Sam's story was wrapped up. I mean if Mercy was forced to go through all the things she did, Sam doesn't need to have his life wrapped up with a neat bow and served on a silver platter. Not only that, but I felt cheated of the resolution the character really deserved.

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please don't hesitate to comment. Good or bad, inspired reflection or spontaneous babble - I love them all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Poet's Keepsakes kit by Lorie Davison
Related Posts with Thumbnails